Johnny B’s Pest Control advises homeowners to take steps to prevent stored product pests
The holiday season is here and families and friends across the country will be spending quality time together, with the kitchen often serving as a favorite gathering place. However, nothing ruins a day of holiday baking fun quite like discovering that creepy-crawlies have taken over your pantry ingredients! Johnny B’s Pest Control offers tips for keeping your kitchen cupboard free from two of the most common stored product pests: merchant grain beetles and Indian meal moths.
Many people’s favorite holiday memories involve time spent in the kitchen with loved ones, whipping up family favorite recipes and classic seasonal treats. Following just a few easy steps can prevent a buggy disaster from ruining an otherwise perfect day.
Pantry pests can easily tear through soft plastic or paper packaging, where they will infest and contaminate common baking ingredients such as flour, chocolate, dried fruit and nuts.
Johnny B’s Pest Control offers the following tips for preventing beetles and moths from invading your kitchen:
- Keep counters, floors, pantry shelves, cabinets and sinks clean, as crumbs and spills are obvious pest attractants.
- Only purchase food in sealed packages that show no sign of damage.
- Once packages are opened, move ingredients into sealed glass or Tupperware-type containers with secure lids before storing them in the pantry or cabinet.
- Check expiration dates on baking ingredients before use and visually inspect previously opened items before adding them to a recipe.
- Dispose of garbage regularly in sealed receptacles.
- Seal cracks or holes around the stovepipes and water pipes.
- Eliminate all moisture sites, including leaking pipes and clogged drains.
- Consult a licensed pest professional if an infestation has already taken root.